the issue here is illegal detention and illegal arrest. the military was remiss in doing their job on the Morong 43. they really should get their act together. unless they learn to follow the laws themselves, citizens who are not guilty will suffer injustice and citizens who are guilty will get away with it.
the Morong 43 don’r look like NPAs to us., they look like ordinary folks we see on a daily basis in any street in metro manila. based on looks alone, we think they are not NPAs.
but that is just on looks, and not based on evidence. well, that too was the problem of the military who arrested them – they did not follow the laws on arrest, similar to us – we base our opinion on looks.
Aquino orders dropping of charges vs jailed health workers
By Norman Bordadora
Philippine Daily Inquirer, Radyo Inquirer
First Posted 11:50:00 12/10/2010
MANILA, Philippines—(UPDATE 2) President Aquino ordered the Department of Justice to withdraw the charges of illegal possession of firearms and explosives against 43 health workers arrested in Morong, Rizal, on suspicion of being members of the communist New People’s Army.
“The medical workers were arrested in the waning days of the Arroyo administration on the suspicion that they were aiding NPA insurgents. These are valid concerns. Nevertheless, we recognize that their right to due process was denied them,” President Aquino said in a brief televised speech on the occasion of International Human Rights Day.
“As a government that is committed to the rule of law and the rights of man, this cannot stand. Therefore, I have ordered the DOJ to withdraw the informations filed before the court,” Aquino added.
Aquino said he expected that his order, subject to court approval, would lead to the release of the 43 health workers.
Justice Secretary Leila De Lima, however, said that six of the detainees have outstanding warrants that aren’t related to the raid on the Morong resort where the 43 were arrested last February 6.
“Under existing rules we cannot free them if there are outstanding warrants of arrest against them in other cases,” De Lima said.
De Lima said the information on the six persons with other cases was provided by the Armed Forces. She said this was being verified by government prosecutors.
- Jane Addams (1860-1935)
- Corazon Aquino (1933-2009)
- Rachel Carson (1907-1964)
- Coco Chanel (1883-1971)
- Julia Child (1912-2004)
- Hillary Clinton (1947-Present)
- Marie Curie (1867-1934)
- Aretha Franklin (1942-Present)
- Indira Gandhi (1917-1984)
- Estée Lauder (1908-2004)
- Madonna (1958-Present)
- Margaret Mead (1901-1978)
- Golda Meir (1898-1978)
- Angela Merkel (1954-Present)
- Sandra Day O’Connor (1930-Present)
- Rosa Parks (1913-2005)
- Jiang Qing (1914-1991)
- Eleanor Roosevelt (1884-1962)
- Margaret Sanger (1879-1966)
- Gloria Steinem (1934-Present)
- Martha Stewart (1941-Present)
- Mother Teresa (1910-1997)
- Margaret Thatcher (1925-Present)
- Oprah Winfrey (1954-Present)
- Virginia Woolf (1882-1941)
new Pulse Asia RH Bill survey : anti-RH Bill proponents are ineffective and ignored by the people; 69% support RH Bill
pulse asia has released new research conducted in october on people’s sentiments on the RH Bill.
- a high 80% of the respondents are aware of the RH Bill. given the high degree of discussion that has occurred on the RH Bill in recent weeks, we were expecting it to be higher.
- the question on sentiments on the RH BIll is well done and is comprehensive in covering the key points of the RH Bill. this question is the most key in this research. it was a good idea that the design included the key elements of the RH Bill in the question. that ensures the respondents are fully aware of what the RH Bill is all about.
- a high 69% of respondents agree and support the RH Bill. this is notable as this is about as high as it sued to be in previous researches. that means people’s sentiments have not changed despite the heightened attacks of the anti-RH Bill faction in recent weeks.
- it can also mean the anti-RH-Bill groups have been largely ineffective in swaying the sentiments of the people on the RH Bill.
- most recent months have seen a lot of discussion and debate on the RH Bill,. that means the people are even more aware and educated on what the RH Bill is all about. the scores favoring the RH BIll says the more they know about the more they support the bill.
- agreement and support for the RH Bill is highly significant, broad based and across the board - all regions and all socio-eco classes.