MANILA, Philippines – Ad veteran Yolanda Ong is turning the tables on Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile.
Enrile wanted Ong to pay him P31.5 million in damages for writing an allegedly libelous column last year that “besmirched” his reputation and caused him social humiliation. (READ: Enrile files P31-M damage suit vs ad veteran)
Ong filed a counterclaim last week, January 17, asking a Pasay court to dismiss the damage suit and make Enrile pay her instead a total of P88 million in damages and P1 million in attorney’s fees.
She did not cause Enrile any damage, she said. His “reputation is not the spotless or untarnished one that he alleges,” reads the complaint.
It is Enrile’s lawsuit that caused her moral and exemplary damages for violating her freedom of speech based on unfounded claims, she said.
In her two counterclaims, Ong asked the court for P30 million in moral damages, P58 million in exemplary damages, and P1 million in attorney’s fees.
And if the court favors Ong, she said she will donate the money to the victims of the Marcos dictatorship.
yoly ong is a well-respected advertising executive in the philippine and co-founder of one of the top 10 advertising ad agencies in the country – Campaigns & Grey. it is a multinational ad agency that handles big international and local advertising clients. ong also writes a column for the Philippine Star.
this is what happened:
The case, which Enrile filed last month, arose from a column that Ong had written on Oct. 16, 2012 entitled “Like father, like son?” Enrile, claiming that the column was libelous, asked the Court to order Ong to pay him P31.5 million in damages for allegedly ruining his reputation.
read the above article in full here:
this is the article that ong wrote that enrile filed a case for libel against ong:
Citizen Y 106 10-16-12 Yoly Villanueva-OngLike Father, like Son?Just when we were about to forgive-and-forget Juan Ponce Enrile’s checkered past, he himself reminded us of what a wily, shifty chameleon he truly and naturally is. His stellar performance at the Corona impeachment leveraged enough glory for his son and namesake to become a strong contender for the Senate. Then he launches his autobiography and bio-documentary that attempt to revise history.It’s almost as if he can’t help but shoot his own foot.And as history and some unassailable sources avow, this would not be the first time Enrile “shot himself’. In Juan Ponce Enrile: A Memoir, and bio-documentary “Johnny” that aired in ABS-CBN— he recants his previous recantation of the assassination attempt on him, which Marcos used as one more reason to justify Martial Law.“This accusation is ridiculous and preposterous. What would I have faked my ambush for?” By that time martial law was already an “irreversible fact” since documents had been signed and the military operation to implement it had started.—–
This fact is further documented in various books written by foreign journalists who covered those perilous years. Time correspondent Sandra Burton, wrote in her book Impossible Dream(1989), “Seasoned observers believed from the start that the attack had been staged. Years later, as he was in the midst of his own revolt from the Marcos regime, Enrile would confirm those suspicions.”Raymond Bonner of the New York Times interviewed Enrile twice in 1985. In his book Waltzing with a Dictator(1988) he wrote, “He was emphatic that the attack on him had not been staged, but in February 1986, after he had broken with Marcos and led the revolt that ousted the Philippine president, Enrile admitted that the attack on his car had been faked”.Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Katherine Ellison also wrote in her 1988 book, Imelda,“(Enrile) revealed that he had narrowly escaped injury in a spectacular ambush of his car—an event he conceded in 1986 had been staged.”In his attempt to leave an acceptable legacy for posterity and bequeath a Senate seat for junior, the nonagenarian is sanitizing his recollections instead of asking for absolution. Stem cell therapy can deter dementia but it cannot regenerate an innocent man.And now the gullible electorate is being enticed to continue Enrile’s political dominion through the son, Jack. By his own narrative, Junior was not close to his father in his younger days. He recalled that as a child, he only watched a movie twice with his dad.The name was a burden for him as he was bullied and beaten up in school for being an Enrile. But today he is closer to his father. “Mas nag-uusap na kami ngayong ako’y nasa 50s, and he is in his 80s,” Jack said. His name is no longer a millstone. He is his father’s son after all.—-source and read in full here:
Updated May 28, 2009 12:00 AM
“There’s an expiration? Eh bakit nila tinatanggal? Di ko naman ginagamit. (Why did they take it? I didn’t even use it.) What is their right to confiscate my money without even so much as saying I beg your pardon. Aba’y ‘di pwede ‘yun (That can’t be),” Enrile told reporters.
The 85-year-old Senate chief said he had P387 load on the morning of May 25, but lost it in the evening without ever using it.
“Then yesterday, I loaded P600. I did not use my telephone. In the afternoon it’s already P519. This morning it went down to P445. Inuubos, aba’y ang galing naman na serbisyo publiko ito (It was lost. This is some public service),” he said.
Enrile said the NTC must explain why it was not able to monitor and protect the public from this practice, adding that subscribers should also not be charged for promotional messages.
“Why should they send me messages that I do not want? We are going to look into this,” he said.
“Panloloko talaga (This is a scam). My God, what is their right? What is the ground for them to charge me for something if I’m not using their line or using their service?” he asked.
Enrile said subscribers should also not be receiving unsolicited messages. “I don’t like them to be texting me, these telecom companies. What for? And if they do, they should be the one paying for it, not me. And I’m going to raise this issue, not for my sake but for the sake of the public,” he said.
He said he pities ordinary people who may only afford to load P30, only to lose it after three days even if they are not using it.
He said the NTC must be alert to protect the public from these kinds of irregular practices and must explain whether it approved such charges.
senator enrile said exactly the same words many cellphone subscribers have long been complaining about – these TELCOS STEAL THE MONEY OF SUBCRIBERS. and cellphone subscribers have no protection against the thieves.
we love what enrile has said, we will love him even more if he does something to stop this wholesale robbery. but, come on, senator ponce enrile, the multi-millionaire who owns numerous multi-million companies, long time politician and public servant using a PRE-PAID SIM???
nobody will believe him!
though senator enrile may have told a lie, we love him just the same for speaking out for cell phone service subscribers. we forgive his lie.