Palace to Mitos: Thanks, but no thanksBy Willard Cheng, ABS-CBN News
MANILA – Malacañang doubts that United Nationalist Alliance (UNA) senatorial candidate Mitos Magsaysay wants President Aquino to “succeed,” disputing her statement that UNA senatorial candidates give constructive criticisms to help the administration “to be the best that it could be.”
“Thank you Rep. Mitos but the President and his Cabinet do not need a US Army slogan to excel. The President has been doing good governance for the past three years, much admired by both the local and international communities, notwithstanding your ‘friendly’ help,” presidential spokesperson Edwin Lacierda said in a text message.
Deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte described Magsaysay’s statement as a “turnaround” from the critical statements that Magsaysay has issued about President Aquino.
Valte pointed out the Magsaysay has called Aquino several names.
Magsaysay once described Aquino as “the most amateur, stubborn, laid back, lazy, immature, and least knowledgeable president we ever had.”
“That is certainly a turnaround from the two-and-a-half years worth of statements that Representative Magsaysay has been issuing against the President. Very early on, she had already let loose of several names about the President… With friends like that, who needs enemies?” Valte said.
“She’s not in the slate of the President. That speaks volumes for itself,” Valte added.
Lacierda earlier said that UNA senatorial candidates are confusing the public by wanting to be associated with President Aquino to increase their chances of winning but have been very critical of the administration.
mitos magsaysay since noynoy aquino became president had nothing but criticism and disdain on aquino on every any topic, with or without an issue. for some reason, mitos is always interviewed by media and for some reason she has given some comment, or the other on anything aquino does. and more than always, she would give a negative comment.
this reaction on malacanang to mitos is understandable and certainly deserving of mitos magsaysay.
nitos is on the 21-22nd spot in the latest SWS senatoriables, a long way off from making it to the top 12.
these are the candidates for UNA (united nationalist alliance), the party of vice president jejomar binay and former president erap estrada:
- Joseph Victor “JV” Ejercito,
- Juan Miguel Zubiri
- Jack Enrile
- Mitos Magsaysay
- Gwen Garcia,
- Joey de Venecia
- Gregorio Honasan
- Loren Legarda
january 2, 2010; 11am
results of poll as of this time and date – all are known personalities or ex-senators.
- miriam defensor santiago – 8%
- pia cayetano – 7%
- kata inocencio – 6%
- franklin drilon – 6%
- bongbong marcos – 6%
- juan ponce enrile – 6%
- sergio osmenia III – 5%
- ralph recto – 5%
- sonia roco – 4%
- bong revilla – 4%
- gilbert remulla – 4%
- satur ocampo – 3%
- vic sotto – 3%
- jinggoy estrada – 3#
december 19, 2009; 11am
we are now opening a new poll for the senatoriables. we have cut into a short list of senatoriables who we think have at least name recall.
official list of senatorial candidates, below. click to view:
the list of senatorial candidates topping the march 2010 pulse asia poll is a mixture of personalities who cannot be any more different. just like the presidentiables, there is no unity or even sameness among them. as in previous senatorial elections, the list is dominated by opposition senators with just a few coming from lakas-kampi.
The survey fieldwork was conducted from March 21 to 28, 2010 using face to face interviews. Prior to and during the conduct of the survey, several events grabbed the headlines and these are as follows: (1) the Supreme Court’s declaration that President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo has the authority to appoint the successor of Supreme Court Chief Justice Reynato S. Puno and the protests that followed the high court’s decision; (2) various appointments made by the President following the Supreme Court’s ruling; (3) the start of the official campaign season for the local elections; (4) election-related concerns including double registrants in the voters’ list, downgrading of security features in the ballot, and questions regarding the nominees of several party-list groups and Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Chairperson Jose A.R. Melo’s dismissal of a “failure of elections” scenario despite these and other problems; (5) the possible disqualification of several presidential candidates due to failure to abide by election laws regarding airtime limits on their campaign advertisements and placement and size of their campaign materials (e.g., billboards); (6) the expression of support for the Nacionalista Party’s (NP) presidential candidate, Senator Manuel B. Villar, Jr., by some allies of President Arroyo in Cebu; (7) reports regarding the falling-out between President Arroyo and Philippine National Police (PNP) Director General Jesus Versoza following the latter’s declaration that he will not support any attempt to extend the President’s term should there be a failure of elections in May 2010; (8) the government’s decision to retain its original growth target of 2.6% to 3.6% despite the El Niño phenomenon; and (9) continued oil price hikes.
Through Resolution 8743, the Comelec en banc announced that presidential aspirant Perlas and Liberal Party senatorial bet Lim have been included in the final list of candidates for the elections.
Perlas was earlier disqualified on the grounds that he cannot run a nationwide campaign and has no supporters to back him up. Supporters of Perlas launched a worldwide campaign entitled “Let Nick Run” and also had a rally on December 21 upon filling the petition.
On December 28, a hearing was made regarding the disqualified candidates and the COMELEC bow to resolve the issue during the first week of January but was delayed up to this week.
Partido ng Marangal na Sambayanan (PANGMASA) a new political party for new politics and a new Philippines which is inspired by Nicanor Perlas is also accepting members who will work together for this vision. Grace Calleja, PANGMASA Secretariat says that the party is open to all regardless of their gender, religion, social status, and other circumstances.
Nicanor Perlas’ entry in the presidential raise raises the number of candidates vying for the highest electoral post in May to nine.
Other presidential candidates includes Senator Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III (Liberal Party), John Carlos “JC” Delos Reyes (Ang Kapatiran), Joseph M. Ejercito Estrada (Puwersa ng Masang Pilipino – UNO), Sen. Richard J. Gordon (Bagumbayan), Sen. Maria Ana Consuelo “Jamby” A.S. Madrigal (independent), Gilberto C. Teodoro Jr.(Lakas-Kampi-CMD), Eddie C. Villanueva (Bangon Pilipinas), and Sen. Manuel B. Villar Jr. (Nacionalista Party).
Gen. Danny Lim, meanwhile, adds to the list of 58 senatorial candidates for this year’s polls. He is currently detained at the PNP Custodial Center in Camp Crame facing rebellion charges before a civilian court and mutiny charges before a military tribunal.
with so many candidates, the key challenge for the senatoriables is differentiation. there is a good number of candidates who already have a national persona and a politicial base, the key for newbies is to get at least one head higher than the rest.
Leftwing party-list groups announce Ocampo, Maza Senate bids
By Lira Dalangin-Fernandez
First Posted 13:44:00 11/12/2009
MANILA, Philippines—Leftwing party list groups will field Representatives Satur Ocampo and Liza Maza in the May 2010 election in their first attempt to gain seats in the Senate.
In separate conventions held Thursday, Bayan Muna party list group and Gabriela women’s party nominated Ocampo and Maza, respectively, as their candidates for senator under the coalition Makabayan.
Both are serving their third and last terms in Congress.
Bayan Muna party list Representative Teodoro Casiño, who was also being eyed for a senatorial post, announced that he would seek another term in the House of Representatives.
Casino was nominated as Bayan Muna’s first nominee, followed by incumbent Representative Neri Colmenares and lawyer Joven Laura.
Standoff at Fort resolved
By Joyce Pangco Pañares and Michael Caber
THE standoff at the Philippine Marines headquarters was resolved peacefully last night when the new commandant declared he was firmly in control of the situation and that he and his men would follow the chain of command.
New Marine commandant Brig. Gen. Nelson Allaga announced the resolution of the crisis at around 10 p.m., when he and Marine Col. Ariel Querubin appeared before a group of reporters in front of the Marine headquarters inside Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City. “We will follow the chain of command, we will follow the Constitution, we will follow the duly constituted authority,” Allaga said, squelching rumors that a new military uprising was in the offing.
The Marines began to leave the compound shortly after to return to their barracks. The crisis began when the commandant of the elite Marines was relieved, which prompted a group of fully armed soldiers under Querubin’s command to gather at the headquarters building in support of their sacked commanding officer, Maj. Gen. Renato Miranda.