Memo To: Gloria Macapagal Arroyo – the P1Million Dinner and the obobs parade goes on
Dear Ms. Arroyo,
I went to the le cirque website to ogle at the restuarant that you and your party went to when you were in new york. I have to say I was very impressed. (http://www.lecirque.com/index2.htm)
I would have enjoyed the website ogling if not these flashbacks keep popping in my head. These are the most idiot tic things your press office has been doing on this matter.
Is it a certain Cerge Remonde who heads this office? He is serial screw-up, forgive the French, and this one on the Le Cirque dinner is the latest on the string of screw ups of Remonde.
- he has no control on information being released. he is at the mercy of the internet, journalists and the public. and all of these people seem to be way ahead of remonde every step of the way. any PR practitioner knows that in controversies like these, the best defense to apply is to be ahead of everyone. release the information ahead of everyone to control the direction of the messages.
- saying there were 100 people in attendance during the dinner was dumb. that number was floated as a way to rationalize the huge tab, making the average cost per person lower thus thinking more people will accept the expense. a 100 person guest list makes it an average of US$200.00 only (?!).
- there is a problem there – 100 people in attendance is ludicrous. that number is no longer “dinner” it is already a banquet. i do not think you can set up a banquet of that size in a restaurant like le cirque that fast. also, the le cirque website says they can seat only 93 pax.
- and then mr. remonde steps on his own foot when days after he says it was a “simple dinner” and to support the adjective “simple”, says you only had 2 tables
- ding! ding! ding! now the 100 guest list is shot to pieces. there is no way to fit 50 people in one table! i do not think le cirque or any restaurant can have a table big enough to fit 50 people in it.
- based on the picture posted in this blog on the main dining area of le cirque, the most number of seating at le cirque is 8 pax per table. that means at most, your party was at 18 people. that also means with a tab of US$20T, on average a whopping US$1,250 per person was spent. at today’s exchange rate, that is equivalent to P60,000 an amount that is more than an average person’s annual salary.
- at the very start, remonde justified the expense by saying no government money was spent and that a certain congressman romouldez took on the tab. the idea here was to shift blame to another person, a fall guy was nominated. having someone take up the bill “insulates” you.
- ding! ding! ding! days after the office of congressman romouldez issues a denial. the office said it was not romouldez who took up the bill but a certain Daniel an architect who lives in NY and is the brother of congressman romouldez.
- that just made you step on shit, mrs. president. (pardon the french) remonde had the right intention, but couldn’t he have planned the lie better? one of the things taught in PR school is that if you need to lie, make sure the lie sticks. in other words – COORDINATE with the person you are elevating into a scapegoat idiot. obviously remonde did not clear with romouldez that he will be made the scapegoat in all of these.
mrs. president, i get this nasty feeling as the days progress, you will be led by mr. remonde to step on more shit. (forgive the french) so far, mr. remonde has failed in stopping the carnage and PR nightmare. what more, he has led you to bigger ones with more words he says.
you might also want to tell mr. remonde that telling the press, like a brat “this is the last time we will talk about this” won’t work. saying things like that to the press won’t scare them into not writing about it. he should know that the press actually does not need mr. remonde’s words to write about it. the press can get information elsewhere on their own. in fact on today’s papers, the topic is still there, on front page even. these words of mr. remonde don’t scare anyone nor does it stop anything.
although, mrs. president i hope you realize that while the press does not need mr. remonde’s words to write about the scandal, it is mr. remonde’s words that got you into stepping into more shit.
this is NOT the first time mr. remonde has done this to you. (here is one more: https://2010presidentiables.wordpress.com/2009/07/07/the-lessons-arroyos-breast-implants-taught-us-cerge-remonde-looks-at-arroyos-breasts/)
this is the same cerge remonde who looks at your boobs and compares them to those of sexy stars that got you into one hell of a mess on your breast implants. if you want your life and the rest of your presidency take a more sane and less embarrassing trek to the finish, get rid of remonde. get rid of the obobs.